From Alice in Wonderland, Chapter 3, A Caucus Race and a Long Tail :"First it marked out a race-course, in a sort of circle, (‘the exact shape doesn’t matter,’ it said,) and then all the party were placed along the course, here and there. There was no ‘One, two, three, and away,’ but they began running when they liked, and left off when they liked, so that it was not easy to know when the race was over. However, when they had been running half an hour or so, and were quite dry again, the Dodo suddenly called out `The race is over!’ and they all crowded round it, panting, and asking, `But who has won?’
This question the Dodo could not answer without a great deal of thought, and it sat for a long time with one finger pressed upon its forehead (the position in which you usually see Shakespeare, in the pictures of him), while the rest waited in silence. At last the Dodo said, ‘Everybody has won, and all must have prizes.’
'But who is to give the prizes?' quite a chorus of voices asked.
'Why, she, of course,' said the Dodo, pointing to Alice with one finger; and the whole party at once crowded round her, calling out in a confused way, 'Prizes! Prizes!'
Alice had no idea what to do, and in despair she put her hand in her pocket, and pulled out a box of comfits, (luckily the salt water had not got into it), and handed them round as prizes. There was exactly one a-piece all round.
'But she must have a prize herself, you know,' said the Mouse.
'Of course,' the Dodo replied very gravely. 'What else have you got in your pocket?' he went on, turning to Alice.
'Only a thimble,' said Alice sadly.
'Hand it over here,' said the Dodo.
Then they all crowded round her once more, while the Dodo solemnly presented the thimble, saying ‘We beg your acceptance of this elegant thimble’; and, when it had finished this short speech, they all cheered.”
One of my personal projects from 2010.
Prints available from my shop.
- cheeriest likes this
- beautifullywildx reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- kyuubi-tears reblogged this from corygodbey and added:
- lookylookyoverthere reblogged this from walter-joseph-kovacs
- yeahcate reblogged this from corygodbey
- hollystargazing likes this
- baby-it-is-cold-outside likes this
- kurtdiangelo reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- ravenwitch likes this
- harliquinne reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- albertoreyrubio likes this
- alicia-atomic reblogged this from tea-and-anthropology
- lostsoulinafishbowl likes this
- theykilledwaldo reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- kyupin likes this
- bookstolivein likes this
- mrjaymyers likes this
- vitamamplexus likes this
- kiki-posts reblogged this from corygodbey
- tasquerismo likes this
- alicia-atomic likes this
- everything-is-connected reblogged this from unseeliebeasties
- theladyoflooseends reblogged this from julietohara
- kouroshology reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- berunagirl likes this
- unseeliebeasties reblogged this from corygodbey
- kevabausch likes this
- julietohara reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- shesallmadhere reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- medusajuice likes this
- enkblogs likes this
- archetypelonging reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- ahnika-te likes this
- veratimbolt likes this
- skokoro reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- goddessofgeekary likes this
- reachwithyourpaws reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- aliceapproved reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- writtenonmyribcage likes this
- thisisnteducational likes this
- susanspevensie reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- suicidando reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- ispydork reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- sunday-gurl reblogged this from lewis-carroll
- kokal likes this